Dear Dr. Kim
This summer, I want to put together a kit of natural products to help deal with “first aid” situations that might arise. Do you have any suggestions for what I should include?
This is a great question and a fantastic initiative. When an unexpected first aid challenge arises you want to be able to respond quickly. Year round I have a basket in our cupboard with items I can deploy, as needed. I like to have natural products on hand to combat the flu, colds, insect bites, and other common and random occurrences. When we go away, I select some key items and make a travel pack to hold us in good stead.
Here are some suggestions to help carry you through the summer and beyond:
- Oscillococcinum – homeopathic vials that can be used at the first signs of flu or flu-like symptoms. If someone around you is feeling achy or fluey you can pop a vial of oscillococcinum to help prevent falling victim yourself.
- Probiotics (consider a shelf stable choice for when you travel) – for digestive ailments and immune support. If you or someone in your house are feeling run down or struggling with a stomachache then probiotics can help to turn the tides.
- Traumacare – a topical cream for aches and pains, trauma and skin healing.
- A. Vogel Echinaforce – to bolster the immune system when colds and flues are going around or you feel a tickle.
- Arnica – an oral homeopathic that is great to take for sport’s injuries, traumas, and/or bruising.
- Apis – an oral homeopathic that helps relieve the discomfort from a sting. Apis homeopathic does not replace (or interfere with) an Epipen for those with severe allergic reactions to bees/wasps.
- Aloe Vera gel – great for healing skin eruptions including irritation after too much sun exposure.
- B vitamins – can be taken orally to help deter mosquitos from biting.
- Citronella spray or cream – a natural insect repellant.
- Calendula cream – to soothe and heal any skin irritation including that from poison ivy.
I hope this list helps you be prepared for the unexpected.
“Health from the inside out.”
Dr. Kimberly McQueen BSc, ND is a Naturopathic Physician in Victoria, BC. In addition to her clinic work she has been a consultant to the Pacific Institute for Sport Excellence, Camosun College, Rugby Canada and Rowing Canada. P:778.433.4935 and www.kimmcqueen.com. Kim McQueen is one of the Co-founders of the nourishing Supershake, Rumble. See www.drinkrumble.com